27.6.08

Judas, Corrected

As promised yesterday ...

excerpt from The Death of Judas by Paul Claudel
translated from the French by polderpalooza herself, corrections by her French instructor in red

It was something of absolute seriousness, a deep interest. I wanted to be sure; I wanted to know where He was going. At his side, when He called me, I was really compelled to suppose that He clearly knew what He was doing. In order to follow without hesitation, I sacrificed my family, my friends, my wealth, my position. I have always had a kind of scientific or psychological curiosity, call it what you want, and at the same time a taste for adventure and for speculation…. I took the bait. Moreover, I am not the only one to let myself be taken. I dare say that among the Twelve, it was I who was by far the most well-educated and the most distinguished. I was a credit to the group. Needless to say, there was Simon Peter – one would not have had the heart to dismiss him or to deny him first place. One had only to look at his lovely eyes like those of an affectionate dog, and this grimace like that of a child who will cry when addressed with the reproaches, which came for him quite often when it was his turn. As for myself, I was always correct. I did my duty, one could not have asked more of me. Otherwise, it was a mess. All the same, my judgment, my manners, my knowledge of the world and the Scriptures, and my know-how with the customers were appreciated. I was one of the first to achieve the rank of Apostle, one of those around whose neck a cord was placed, what you now call a stole.

Grade: 49/50. I guess my quirkiness wasn't too over the top after all!

This morning I took the official Graduate Division of Religion French competency exam. I feel like it went well, but only time will tell. However, I do know for sure that I am done with French for the summer! Yahoo!