8.12.03

My Relationship with Tubas

Today I mentioned to a colleage that I play in an orchestra.

He asked, "What instrument do you play?"

I answered, "Clarinet."

He said, "Oh. You know, I picture you more as a tuba kind of person."

I was not offended by this statement, in spite of my clarinet loyalties. Instead, I thought of my brilliant and crazy tuba-playing orange-VW-beetle-driving medical-doctor cousin Katrina, and smiled.

But why the tuba, I now wonder? I am intrigued. If you all have any feedback about this, please feel free to utilize the comments section. I really want to know -- what personality quirks and quibbles does the image of tuba provoke in YOUR mind?

If you want to find out more fun facts regarding clarinet aficianados and tuba enthusiasts, click here ...

and here.